Continuing Education Credits - Clinical Exams
Certain parts of the Scenario-based Clinical Examination process are designated to continuing education credit hours. The following activities and associated credit hours are listed below.
Activity: The Scenario-based Clinical Examination is designed to objectively evaluate an orthodontist’s knowledge, abilities, and critical thinking skills to certify orthodontists based on proficiency and clinical excellence.
The examination is composed of four domains for assessment:
- Data Gathering and Diagnosis,
- Treatment Objectives and Planning,
- Treatment Implementation and Management, and
- Critical Analysis and Outcomes Assessment. Each examination utilizes ABO patient cases which include scenarios from each of the four domains. Examinees are presented with a case and questioned on various topics depending on each individual scenario. (Participation) 10 credit hours
The ABO designates these Scenario-based Clinical Examination activities for 10 continuing education credits.
The following objectives should be met by the examinee following participation in the above mentioned activities:
- Sharpen skills in currently accepted modalities of therapy.
- Build on Critical thinking skills.
- Elevate the level of orthodontic care for the public by encouraging excellence in clinical practice and specialty education.
- Provide the opportunity to learn from, communicate with, and be constructively helpful to other professional disciplines.
- Strengthen rationale and decision making skills.
Graduate of a CODA accredited advanced specialty orthodontic program and successful completion of the ABO Written Examination.
All Examiners are certified by The American Board of Orthodontics, are actively involved in orthodontic and dental societies, engage in a full- or part-time practice of orthodontics, and/or hold an appointment as a full- or part-time clinical faculty member of an accredited orthodontic program.
Cost, Cancellations and Refunds
The cost for CE Credits is included in the examination registration and is non-refundable and non-transferable.
American Board of Orthodontics
401 N. Lindbergh, Ste 300, St. Louis, MO 63141
The American Board of Orthodontics is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. Certain parts of the ABO Examinations are designated to continuing education credit hours. The cost for CE Credits is included in the examination registration and is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Upon successful completion of an ABO Examination, CE credits are issued and saved within the orthodontist's file at ABO headquarters. For any questions or requests for documentation of past CE credits, please email Info@AmericanBoardOrtho.com.
ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual course or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.