- Online Application / Registration must be completed on the ABO website prior to the Written Examination deadline. See Exam Dates, Fees, and Registration for details.
- A copy of your orthodontic degree/certificate must be submitted to the ABO; or your Orthodontic Program must provide verification of your status in your residency program.
- In February, the ABO will send all confirmed applicants an email with Scantron scheduling instructions.
- The Written Examination is administered at Scantron Testing Centers located in the U.S. and Canada in April of each year.
- After successful completion of the Written Examination, there is no expiration date nor time limit for completing the Clinical Examination.
- If a retake exam is necessary, online registration and the Written Examination Fee should be completed on the ABO website. The application fee is only required if five years has elapsed since the previous application.
- If an examinee has attempted the Written Examination five or more times and wishes to challenge the exam again, the examinee must petition the board directly before registration will be accepted.