- Online registration must be completed on the ABO website prior to the Clinical Examination deadline. Examinee will receive a registration email including instructions on how to begin assembling patient cases in notebook format. See Exam Dates and Fees for details.
- A copy of your orthodontic degree/certificate must be submitted to the ABO
- Approximately two months prior to the exam date, the ABO will notify the examinee as to the date and time of his or her clinical exam, including case setup time, hotel and shuttle information.
- When scheduling a return flight, allow at least 4.5 hours from the start of the oral examination time. For example, if the exam start time is 7:00am, a return flight should be no earlier than 11:30am.
- All case notebooks including case report work files (CRWF; 2 copies for each case), printed records and physical models for each case must be brought to the ABO Exam Center on the examinee’s assigned Case Setup date.
- Registration and Case Setup will occur on the day prior to the scheduled Clinical Examination. A shuttle will bring examinees with cases from the hotel to the exam center at the scheduled time. Case transport containers will be left at the exam center. It is mandatory to ride the shuttle from the assigned hotel to the exam center even if the examinee is not staying at the hotel.
- Business casual attire is recommended on the day of your case setup.
- Standard business attire is recommended on the day of your examination.
- On the examination day, the shuttle will bring examinees from the hotel to the exam center at the scheduled time. Only ABO name badge IDs are allowed in the exam center. The following are strictly prohibited: guests, cell phones, electronic devices, books, briefcases, food, drink, smoking, etc. Each exam room will have pencils, paper and water available for the examinees.
- Examinees will be escorted to the exam rooms. Examinees will begin with the Board Case Oral Examination (BCOE) where they will be given 20 minutes to review a board case (presented to you in a grouped montage format) on the computer screen for diagnosis and treatment planning.
- At the appropriate time, 2-3 Board Examiners (who are unaware of the examinee's identity prior to the examination) will enter the exam room to discuss the BCOE.
- After 20 minutes, the BCOE examiners will exit the room and another team of examiners will enter the exam room to discuss the CROE on the examinee's own cases. This portion of the examination will be approximately 40 minutes.
- All ABO exam rooms have live video monitoring capabilities.
- Immediately following the oral exam, examinees will pack up their cases. The shuttle will return examinees, as a group, to the hotel.
- An email notification of results will be sent within one month after the close of the exam week.
- Official examination results will be mailed by the ABO within a two month period after the exam. This will include an ABO lapel pin, educational toolkit information and an ABO certificate for all first time board certified orthodontists.
- The Board Certified Orthodontist’s information will appear on the ABO website in the Orthodontist Locator directory within three weeks of receipt of email notification.
- If examination results show a non-complete clinical examination, re-examination on balance of case criteria and/or BCOE is required.
- The examinee has 10 years and two (2) separate occasions to submit case(s) to complete these Clinical Examination requirements. If the examinee does not fulfill requirements, the examinee will complete a new registration for the Scenario-based Oral Clinical Examination.
- Click Here for information about CE Credits issued by the ABO